Sunday, November 1, 2015

Graphic Orgs


Graphic Organizers

Students learn over half of what they know from visual images.
Mary Alice White, Teachers College at Columbia University (1999)


 I was an average student who made OK grades.  From what I can remember, most of my teachers lectured, and I spent most of my time not listening very well.  If my teachers used graphic organizers or visual aids, especially those used today, I don’t remember them. So my questions to you are:  (a) When you present information to your students verbally, how much of it do they retain?  (b) If your students see and hear the information, do they have a better comprehension of the material?
As a former Social Studies teacher, I used to require students to bring in a current event article with a brief written summary.  There were some great summaries and some not so great. My students often copied words and their definitions from the whiteboard and were expected to be prepared for tests on these vocabulary words from these current events. I stopped that after year 1. Why? If didn't work!!!  The graphic organizer below allows students to become actively involved with the vocabulary on many different levels.  You can offer students a chance to share their sentences, clues, or what the word isn’t.  This allows students to not only recognize the new words, but also understand them.

Dictionary Definition
My Definition or Clue
What the Word Isn't
Sentence






 The organizer in the link below was developed by teachers at Chestnut Oaks Middle School in Sumter, South Carolina (2008), for students like me.  They had students who could grasp math word problems and those that couldn’t.  I would have been in the “couldn’t grasp” group.  Try this in your class if you like by following the hyperlink: http://coms.sumterschools.net/site_res_view_folder.aspx?id=d2274d4d-2e4e-4839-8edf-8b10cb4fca28


The purpose of graphic organizers is to assist students with understanding the material being taught.  There are a variety of organizers available for your use; limit the number you use to those that are most effective for your purposes. And just think, if my teachers used these types of teaching aides, I might have made valedictorian!  Would you believe salutatorian?  Principal’s honor role?  Okay, my mom was just happy I graduated!

Happy teaching & learning to all; have a great week!

Eric

adapted from Post by J. Zoul...Friday Oct 10...Friday Focus

Articles you may enjoy: 

Videos to Check out:




The heart of Teaching (11 min)




Using Tech to Close Equity Gaps (12 min)



Nike Snow Day (2 min)

\
Calendar of Events:



DTC Training online from ODE--Nov 3-5
Teach Like a Pirate--Nov 13 (Sign up....it's not to late!)
E-RATE TRAINING @ Harney ESD--Nov 20 9AM-4pm
Writing Scoring--Dec 11
Teacher Voice Workshop--Jan. 8
Deadline to distribute Report Cards to Parents--Jan 15
Teacher Voice Workshop--Feb 12
Math Talk Workshop--April 15-16
Katrina Ayres--Classroom Practices--May 6

No comments:

Post a Comment