Monday, September 28, 2015

Videotaping

Do you remember your college course where they forced you to record yourself teaching? I remember pointing out all of the umm, ands, and other various habits that had found their way into my teaching. My verbal skills were not nearly where I would like them to be. At the time, prior to that video, I thought I was pretty top notch, but afterwards I was sitting a bit lower in my chair due to embarrassment.   

Like most of you, I didn't just want to be a classroom teacher. I wanted to be THAT TEACHER! I simply needed to improve and I found myself taking the profession and my classes much more seriously. In my first year on the job at Meridian High we also videotaped ourselves...again, not where I would like to be, but a remarkable improvement. 

As I prepared for an observation from my vice principal that year, I videotaped myself again. Not required, but something I thought that could possibly help as I prepared for that formal observation. What did I notice? I had great movement around the classroom, hit every student with my movement and did a nice job of ensuring that everyone did everything, but my wait time on questions was atrocious. I would ask the question and then often wait maybe a couple seconds and then just answer it myself. The kids knew just to wait a couple seconds because I would just give them the answer. 

There is absolutely no doubt that watching that video improved my teaching. In my post observation conference some time later I recall the observer identifying my wait time as a strength. That would not have happened were it not for that video. That video helped my teaching and ultimately my students. 

In a recent post by Ben Gilpin, Principal he noted the following:

"Recently I thought about the value of watching yourself.  A few things came to mind.  

Think of all the professionals that record in some way.
  • Athletes
  • Entertainers
  • Musicians
  • Law Enforcement
  • Actors/Actresses
  • Pilots
  • Doctors (operating room)
  • Trainers
  • Speakers
What are your metaperceptions?  How do you see yourself?

Why record yourself?  In many cases it is to give a different viewpoint, help yourself improve and analyze strengths and weaknesses.  The bottom line, watching yourself on camera is another opportunity to reflect.

Before you dismiss the thought of recording yourself, I ask you this, do you want to improve?  Do you strive to be better each day?  If the answer is yes, then I hope you'll be open minded to trying something new." (B. Gilpin p. 1, 2015). 

Post inspired and quoted from B. Gilpin, The Colorful Principal


Articles you may enjoy: 

Videos to Check out




Haunted by Columbine (12min)







# Awesome Girls (3 min)



Thank you (4min)

 


Calendar of Events:


OCF Mtg--Sept 28--Noon
TIDE available--Oct 1
Poverty in Mind Due Date--Oct 7
Report Card and Detail Preview available--Oct 8
Journeys training at Slater--Oct 9
Webinar: Training for Cumulative ADM Exit Adjustment--Oct 13, 2pm
Public release of report cards and detail sheets--Oct 15
SBAC/OAKS online practice tests available--Oct 20
K Assessment testing window closes--Oct 22
Number Sense Training Opportunity--Oct 23-24 @ Harney ESD
K Assessment collection window closes--Oct 30
DTC Training online from ODE--Nov 3-5

No comments:

Post a Comment